By choosing the right type of cleaning products, and by paying some consideration to how you wash yourself, you can decrease your environmental impact.
Wash the right way
When using hot water, you consume a large amount of energy.
- Take a shower instead of a bath. A five-minute shower can save up to 90 liters of water compared to taking a bath.
- Install limited flow nozzles on all water taps.
- Remember to turn off the shower while lathering up.
- Choose soap and shampoo with eco-labeling.
Choose the right hygiene products
- Choose cosmetic products without Microplastics.
- Clear out the bathroom cabinet. Cosmetics, beauty creams, and other beauty products often contain chemicals that affect both your body and the environment.
- Choose toothpaste, deodorant, and other hygiene products without Triclosan, a chemical which is very harmful for water organisms.
- Choose eco-labeled and unscented hygiene products. Many perfume substances, including natural fragrances, are allergy inducing.
- Wipe off superfluous color from jars and hands with paper tissue if dying your hair. Throw the tissues among burnable waste. Leave the remaining color in its package and take it to a toxic waste recycling facility.
- Deliver your cosmetic waste, such as nail polish and hair spray, to a toxic waste recycling facility. For your convenience, you can also dispose of your cosmetic products at department steroes, which have a recycling agreement with Stockholm Vatten och Avfall.